It was one of those typical Minnesota winters. Snow, cold and occasional no school days. During this particular weather event we were already at school but they decided to close early and were letting us out by late morning. No problem- just go pick your kid up at school right? Nope. My brilliant mother, apparently fueld by the brilliance of a friend's mother, somehow convinced the school to let the two of us walk home in the blizzard. On top of that, we were let out even earlier than the dismissal time in hopes that we'd make it home before the storm got too bad.
I remember being told to bundle up in my winter gear, grab my friend Becky and start heading home. Oh, and to call my mom at work when I made it home safely. All my classmates stared in disbelief as us brave souls were preparing for the long walk home. After we exited the building and started trekking across the big field I remember looking back at the windows and seeing the faces of my classmates pressed up against them. They seemed to be mouthing "It's been nice knowing you" and "We may not ever see those two again". I think my teacher may have even started clearing out my desk.
Somehow, through pure will, determination, stamina and excellent navigational skills (it was a blizzard after all) we managed to make it home. And to call our negligent mothers. Then, on top of the trauma already inflicted, we had to make our own lunches because school let out before serving lunch. Ridiculous!
I hope you now understand why no awards were given to my mom that year. And my memory is like a steel trap so I'm convinced that my recollection is 100% accurate.
So be safe out there today! A blizzard is coming and your moms may abandon you. You've been warned.
No comments:
Post a Comment