Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Figgy the guard cat

With Brent's crazy work schedule Josie and I end up spending a lot of time without him in the house. When these shifts first started we considered a security system but feared the alarm going off accidentally would be just as traumatizing as a real threat. Then we considered a dog. That lasted approximately two seconds. The other day I realized we have nothing to worry about because Figgy is here to protect us 24/7. Here's how I know.....

The other morning Figgy was snuggled in and snoring (yes, snoring, but that's a whole different story).
Kind of like this, but with more blankets
 
As Brent was coming home around 6:15am, I could hear the garage door open and noticed that Figgy pried one eye open to confirm that she heard it too.

Peek-a-boo, I see you!
Then, as the door to the house opened, she lifted her whole head up to get a better listen. I could tell that her body was ready to attack if the need called. Either that or she was weighing out leaving the warm bed to see if whoever was making the noise might possibly give her some treats. As her intuition (or was it the warm bed again?) told her it was safe, she snuggled back to sleep. A few minutes later I could hear the sounds of Brent's footsteps coming up the stairs. Again, Figgy lifted her head, her body in full attack mode. She was ready to pounce! Or was she ready for Pounce? Once Brent came through the doorway she took a good look at this would-be attacker, deemed the threat level low, let out a loud groan as if complaining that someone disturbed her slumber, and promptly began snoring again.

Seriously, she does snore. Loudly!
 
So who needs some fancy alarm company or loud barking dog? Not us! We have a stealthy cat who will give subtle clues as to the threat level of the situation. One eye opens means something may or may not be going on and someone may or may not be handing out cat treats. Head up means something really might be going on and the human folk should maybe check it out. Head back down and resumption of snoring means no threat, no treats and nothing to worry about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment