Fine. I give in. He looks good. He's a hell of a speaker. Bruce likes him. And he's our new President. But do I have to be lectured about politics from a 2 year old?
Josie participated in the presidential election by learning about the candidates through the Weekly Reader at daycare. She even participated in a mock election. Heck, she even participated in the real election and was very impressed with the pretty sticker she received at the end. I would have thought she'd have forgotten about Bama-cain by now (I like to think she combined the best qualities of each candidate) but she seems to understand this monumental moment in only the way a 2 year old can.
Bruce, on the other hand, has always been fairly vocal with his political views. He used to show it simply by the lyrics in his music but in recent years he's been voicing his opinion by very openly supporting democratic candidates. Sure, I love me some Bruce air time, but I'd rather stick to the Super Bowl than the Vote for Change tour. I believe Bruce is a brilliant man and I want to believe in his whole hearted support of our new president. I want to believe that Obama will be the man to put this nation back on track. I want to believe that we can move forward as a nation again, rather than backward as in recent years. A lot of pressure has been put on him and I can only hope that he and his family will survive it. In the meantime I'll most certainly be enjoying my extra Bruce TV time and patiently awaiting the list of US tour dates for his new album.
So as I tucked Josie in for bed tonight we both reflected on this historic day. She talked about using the potty and doing the potty dance. I talked about our first African American president. She talked about watching Barack on TV. And yes, she said Barack. Apparently they are on a first name basis here. I explained that I did not get to see him on TV today because I had to work. She then talked about all the flags waving, music playing, and happy faces she saw. I told her that when she gets older and goes to school she would be talking about this very day and what impact Barack had on our country and our family. She then asked if Santa was coming to her house again. Gotta love the attention span of a toddler!
In the end Barack doesn't outrank Santa, but he will need a special suit and a bag full of goodies to pull this country through. I look forward to reflecting on this day when Josie writes a history paper on presidential elections. Hopefully we can talk briefly about the economic crisis that started in 2008, in depth about the end of the war in Iraq and I'll be able to recall how Santa fits into the whole thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment