Sunday, January 18, 2009

Adventures in Potty Training and other random updates


We're still full steam ahead in the big girl undies department. I have a bag full of extra pants and undies ready for day care tomorrow but I'm crossing my fingers that she won't need it. Other than a few random accidents Josie has done a tremendous job making it to the potty in time. It will be very interesting to see how she handles it tomorrow back amongst her friends. Hopefully she won't be too distracted by all the fun she's having and can stay on track. Check out the pictures of her potty chart from the past 2 days. Stars=successes! Stay tuned on that front....


I went in for a yearly skin check this week. The surgical site has healed well from my first bout with Basal Cell cancer. They informed me that if I can make it 5 years without a recurrence my risk drops down to the same as the general population. Just as that wonderful thought was fully processing in my brain he found a spot on my cheek that needed a biopsy. I feared another surgery in sight but the doctor called Friday night and said everything is ok. Good news for the weekend! Or so I thought.......


Fast forward to Friday night- Brent and I smelled a hot electrical type odor in Josie's bathroom. My mother's safety monitor instincts kicked in and we reviewed locations of fire extinguishers and the escape ladder before going to sleep that night. Both of us had a restless night of sleep but something pulled me out of bed at 4 AM to check on the house. I woke up to an overwhelming amount of that same electrical odor and got Brent out of bed right away. The upstairs seemed in order so he ran down to check the main floor and basement. Brrr!!!! The thermostat had dropped to 55 degrees and clearly our furnace had gone out. We checked out the error code on the furnace and it appeared that the blower motor had gone out. Once Josie woke up, her and I headed over to my parents (free labor for their massive painting party- did they perhaps sabotage my furnace?) while Brent worked on finding someone to repair the furnace. Long story short- the blower motor was replaced at a relatively low cost (because Brent has a friend in the business and did some work himself) but we still had to pay extremely high weekend labor rates to get someone else to come in and replace the circuit board. $600 later we have a warm house again. Could have been worse, right?


It got worse. We had some reservations about poor Rex and his behavior around Josie. He bit me a few times last week and finally got Josie pretty bad on Saturday morning. We decided that she's too young to understand his behavior and we didn't want to risk it so we gave him back to the rescue group. He's a very cool cat and will make some other family very happy. I hope they find him a good home soon.


That about wraps up our week. We're all doing good and enjoying the wonderful warm weather! Special prayers to Jill and her family.....

No comments:

Post a Comment