Just as quickly as I can achieve mom of the year or champion status I can come crashing right back down.
I took a lot of classes last year in my master's program. A lot. And we had one or two other things going on in our lives (transplant anyone?) so I had a really busy year. I was gone in the evenings visiting Dad at the hospital, working late, in class, or doing homework more than I would have liked. But life is like that some times.
During one particularly busy stretch toward the end of my marathon year of classes Josie was extremely upset about the amount of time I was spending at work or class. I tried to explain to her that work and school were important to me, just as family and friends are important too.
"You're always work and masters, masters and work. I don't get it!"
I took some time to explain why school and work matter to me, and that she is a large reason why those things are important. Not more important than her, but important. I told her that some day she may be a similar situation and have to balance many things that are important to her.
"But I don't want to be like you. I want to have fun too. And have time for family and friends. Being smart isn't everything."
Point taken.
While I could have pushed hard to finish my degree this spring I am instead spreading my classes out more evenly throughout the year and will be done in December. I'll also have a large portion of the summer off so hopefully we can make up for lost time at the lake last summer. Plus we have one heck of a lungiversary to celebrate in July! Graduation can wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment