Thursday, August 20, 2015

Going batty

Brent and I were sitting on the couch the other night when we noticed something gliding overhead. I tried to convince myself it was a giant moth but the lack of fluttering from the wings didn't fit in with my theory.

By the time I convinced myself that it was indeed a bat we weren't able to find it. Then I noticed that the cat was missing. Cat + bat = bad.

I found Oz staring at the ceiling in our bedroom. Then I saw the bat swooping in circles around our room, started screaming and ran away.



Brent, being an avid tennis player, (yeah right!) ran and grabbed his racket. After a few swings he stunned the bat and it landed under our bed. As he searched for something to scoop it up with I kept an eye on the cat. Oz was very excited for his new toy and lunged at the bat who then decided to stop playing dead.

The chase was on! This time the bat was dizzy, hurt or both so Oz had a much better chance at it. Unfortunately that meant that the bat was flung across the room, on the bed, back across the room and against the wall. There was also some more screaming but this time it was me AND the bat.

You can see it in the upper left corner of the door frame! 

By this time Brent had made his way back upstairs and took a final swing at the bat. Thump! Off the window and dead on the carpet. No more fun for Oz.

After cleaning the carpet, disposing of the bat and calming our nerves the realization that Oz had touched it sunk in. Not only is that super gross (ewwww!!!) but its also a rabies concern. Luckily the vet has confirmed that the odds of an issue are very small so he's in quarantine for 10 days and then will get a rabies booster.

Do you think the fear of waking up to a bat swooping over my bed will go away within 10 days too?

No comments:

Post a Comment