We've always told Josie that its important to be honest. In fact, I've written about it recently when she was being less than honest and needed to face some real consequences. It turns out that honesty is not always the best policy though....
Josie was about 3 years old when Brent was scheduled for a sleep study. Being the supportive wife that I am (and because I wanted to see him with the wires hooked to his head) I insisted that Josie and I come along to tuck him in. We were waiting patiently in the lobby when a rather large gentleman also checked in for a sleep study. I didn't think much of it and continued to keep Josie busy and out of trouble in the lobby. Several minutes later that gentleman was called for his appointment and walked back to the study area. As he was walking away Josie loudly starts saying "I see a big butt." Brent and I quickly try to shush her because he and all of the other patients are clearly able to hear her, but she kept talking about the big butt.
I took her aside and tried to explain that it was a hurtful thing to say and that she should keep those things to herself. Sure enough Josie reminds me that she should be honest and proceeds to tell me that "If I see a big butt, I'm going to say big butt!". We then hung our heads as Brent was called back to the same study area and crossed our fingers that our new friend had already moved on.
To this day we still laugh about Josie's honesty policy. And what an epic parenting fail it resulted in.
Speaking of epic fails.....writing this post made me think of the classic Sir Mix-A-Lot song. Ah, the good old days!
PS- I fully realize I'm a day late and a dollar short. Welcome to my week.
No comments:
Post a Comment