Thursday, April 24, 2014

Throwback Thursday: One down

It was the summer before Brent and I got married. We enjoyed a nice weekend on Big Siss and were packing to head home. The boys were out covering the boat and mom and I were inside cleaning up. We had a yummy dinner the night before and there was some shrimp salad left over.

Eat some, mom said. 
It will go bad otherwise, she said. 
Plus, we only have this salad once in a while, she said. 

So I ate the salad like a good girl. And it was yummy. The next thing I remember is mom yelling at me to hurry up so that she could was the bowl. As I began to focus again I realized my lips were a little tingly and my chest felt heavy. Uh oh! A quick trip to the mirror confirmed hives all over my body. 

Take some Benadryl, she said. 
It will make you feel better, she insisted. 
And hurry up, I need to wash the bowl, she demanded. 

As my throat continued to close we decided it was best to head to the ER, clean bowl or not. As we dashed outside to start the 30 minute trip to town the boys clearly didn't understand the urgency. They were happy to stay back at the camper and continue packing up the boat as if nothing was wrong. 

I'll stop at the gas station for Benadryl, she said. 
Here, turn the AC on full blast in your face, she suggested. 
Are you still there, she asked. 

Upon arriving at the hospital it was clear I needed some medical attention. More importantly, it was vital that I take the time to make sure I had insurance coverage before administering a life saving shot of epinephrine. I seem to recall something about throwing my insurance card on the desk and asking for help.....

This shot will only hurt a bit, they said. 
You may feel a little jittery after, they warned. 
See, all better, they insisted. 

I spent the next three hours shaking in the front seat while Brent drove home. Funny how one little shot can get a person so wound up! 

Fast forward 8 years................


Let's have a bloody mary, Ted said. 
I'll bring the mix, you provide the vodka, he said. 
This will taste great, he insisted.  


And here I thought I was the only one who wanted to be an only child! 


No comments:

Post a Comment