That was the sound, followed by several loud moans, that my body made when I took a giant spill last night. With all the ice and snow you'd think this happened outside, but no such luck. This was inside. Alone. At my neighbors house. After setting the alarm. It went a little like this.....
The neighbors asked me to water their plants while they went south for a few weeks. Ignoring the fact that most plants die a slow painful death under my care, I agreed to do it. Last night I successfully entered the house, disarmed the alarm, watered the plants and was ready to lock back up. So simple! I shut off all the lights leaving on the one near the alarm and the one near the exit to light my path. So brilliant! I type the code and begin the hear the familiar beep-beep sound of the sixty second countdown. So much time! Then it all went wrong.
I missed a giant step heading from the alarm to the back door and went down hard. Beep-beep. And by hard, I mean full force slamming my chest into a chair and landing on my knees and chest. Beep-beep. It took me what seemed like hours to process what had happened and begin to assess the damage. Beep-beep. I could feel my face, I could feel the pain in my knee, I could moan in pain. Must still be alive. Then the friendly countdown timer started to go beepbeep-beepbeep so I was assured it had been less than 30 seconds since my crash. Excellent. It wasn't until the beepbeepbeepbeepbeep sound started that I fully realized the alarm was almost armed and I was still stuck in the floor. Perfect. Police arriving as soon as I set off a motion sensor. Outstanding.
Somehow I managed to wobble to the alarm and disarm it before the countdown was done. Then I collapsed on the floor. And yelled for Brent who was supposed to be outside with Josie. No response. Excruciating pain. Louder yells. Still no response. My need to find a heating pad, ice pack and pain pill finally propelled me outside as Brent was coming to see what was taking me so long. Got the alarm set and made it to my couch where I didn't move for hours.
Today I'm sore, back on one crutch and not moving far from the couch. Nothing is broken, I have a beautiful bruise on my chest, the plants are watered and I don't hear any beeping sounds. Still trying to determine the extent of damage to the knee. One week until my next adventure to the neighbors. No news is good news!
No comments:
Post a Comment