Sunday, January 8, 2012

Polar Plunge 2012

Here's the formal announcement
Friends and Family:
On behalf of Special Olympics Minnesota I'd like to request your help in supporting local youth with developmental disabilities in their participation in individual and team sports. This February my team is again taking part in the annual “Polar Bear Plunge” event, during which money raised goes directly to Special Olympics Minnesota. Funds raised during this event will enable over 7000 athletes to participate in 17 Olympic-type sports.

I have set a personal fundraising goal of $400, and I need your support to reach it! I’m hoping you’ll make a donation to Special Olympics Minnesota on my behalf and support my Polar Bear Plunge team. Any amount you can contribute helps me get closer to my goal.

You can support my Plunge in multiple ways. You can donate to me directly so that I may submit it on your behalf, you can mail it directly to the address listed below, or you can pledge online through my personal Plunge Web Page at http://www.plungemn.org/plunger/heatherweberrc.

Special Olympics Minnesota
100 Washington Avenue South, Suite 550
Minneapolis, MN 55401
*be sure to include my name as a Plunge participant

I thank you for your support and would love to have you cheer me on at the event. Or if you’re really feeling brave, join me and Take the Plunge! You can register online today.

If you want to learn more about this great event, please visit http://www.plungemn.org/.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Heather
Team Brrr Captain


And here's what I really have to say about it

It was cold last year, but not too cold. This year we have the added complication of unsafe ice. Will we be doing a Polar Parade and wading out into the water this year? Will we be in t-shirts instead of attempting to cover every ounce of bare skin? Will temps drop and we'll turn into little icicles? Stay tuned!

We have a fantastic team! It was lots of fun to jump with them last year and I look forward to doing it again. We still need to work on some costume ideas- any suggestions? Josie is leaning toward Angry Birds. Then again she thinks that's all I do at work every day so maybe we shouldn't let the 5 year old decide.

Josie thinks we're crazy. Last year I remember telling her about the plunge for the first time and her response was to ask "Why would anyone do that?"

Ice or no ice, that water is darn cold! And the "hot tub" felt more like a luke warm bath. And the frozen sand in the changing tent was a bit extreme on bare feet. Must plan my changing routine a bit better this year.

We personally raised $1160 last year and all plunges combined raised $2.2 million. Not bad for a bunch of fools jumping into a lake! I really hope we can top that amount this year.

Thank you for your support!



No comments:

Post a Comment