Sunday, January 2, 2011

A cough in the night

So Josie is sick....again. But luckily it appears to be more of a cold than a visit by our old pal Ralph. As she went to bed last night she started complaining about "a cough in the night" so we figured she was just being needy. Sure enough, about an hour after bedtime, we heard a barky cough coming from her room. Fast forward another hour and then we heard lots of moaning, whimpering and crying. She was doubled over in pain and complaining about her belly hurting. Lots of bathroom attempts, a bath and some snuggling didn't seem to relieve anything. It got pretty bad between 3-5 AM when she started complaining about her neck hurting too. Just as I was going through all the possible life threatening reasons (which, by the way, was totally acceptable mother behavior given the severe hour and lack of sleep) Josie came up with a one liner that told me everything was going to be ok. It went a little like this-
Josie: Mom, I have "a cough in the night" you know.
Me: Yes honey, I'm sorry you're feeling tough. Try to get some sleep now.
Josie: But mom, I can't sleep if my tummy and neck hurt.
Me: Come snuggle with me and let's try to sleep.
Josie: Mom, I have "toots in the night" too ya know.
Me: I love you honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment