Sunday, August 29, 2010

Happy birthday dear Josie, happy birthday to you!

The song has been sung, the cake has been eaten and the wrapping paper has been thrown away. Its bittersweet as I reflect on the meaning of Josie's fourth birthday. Its incredible to think that four years ago this tiny creature came tearing into my life and instantly changed everything. The sleepless nights, the long walks back and forth (again and again), the constant questioning if she was tired, hungry, wet, all of the above or none of the above. And now, in just one year, that tiny baby will be heading off to kindergarten. 

On one hand, I know that she will succeed in typical Josie fashion. She'll easily meet new friends, learn to read and be exposed to more than I could ever imagine. I'm excited for that day. Really, I am. We'll pick out school supplies, meet her teacher and she can finally begin to appreciate the value of a summer vacation. I just wish it didn't have to happen so soon!


The other part of me wants to keep her little forever. I remember hearing her first cries, seeing her first smile and giggling along with her during her first laugh. I remember my sense of awe as she signed the first time, took her first steps and said her first words. Every day was something new to look forward to and I lived to see what her next accomplishment would be. I'm not ready to move away from that. 


I will cherish the next year with Josie as she moves from a preschooler to a kindergartner. I will slow down and enjoy the innocence of her small world while preparing her for a much larger one. I will love this girl with all my heart, just as I always have. But more than anything I will not hold her back as she continues to learn and grow. And I will proudly watch it all with a smile on my face and a tear in my heart.

I love you my sweet Josephine. 
Happy birthday baby girl. 


Love, Mom
 

No comments:

Post a Comment