Tuesday, June 2, 2015

F is for forfeit

Getting back into the swing of homework and school nights is tough each fall. Lots of tears, new routines and hectic schedules. Turns out that its just as tough to get into the swing of it when you start a Master's program as a working adult. Lots of tears. Hectic Schedules. All that jazz. Ugh. What was I thinking?

This class has been taxing. As in 25 hours of homework and reading per week taxing. As in 25 hours of homework and reading per week on top of a crazy work schedule. And it didn't help that said work schedule involved several late nights. Ugh. What was I thinking?

The other night Josie begged me to stop doing homework and spend time with her. I really wanted to but I had a midnight assignment deadline. Sorry kid! She explained how proud she was of me for going back to school but asked if I could just take an F for the class. I must have had a puzzled look on my face because she went on to ask if F meant forfeit. I took the time to explain the A-F grading system (she was shocked and disappointed that there is no Z) and she began to understand why I couldn't just quit. Plus I need a C or better to get reimbursed for my tuition. And a B or better to stay in the program. Ugh. What was I thinking?

I took a few minutes to snuggle with her and chat about her day and then resumed the crazy school schedule. Who needs sleep when you get snuggle time with your kid?

Ugh. I think I can do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment