I had quite the (one sided) conversation with Josie tonight. This girl has quite the imagination.
Names have been changed to protect the innocent. And because I couldn't keep them all straight.
J: Mom, I know I'm not allowed to say this because its a bad word, but I kinda hate so-and-so. She is so bossy on the playground. She never lets me and what's-her-name be real people when we play cats.
H: No, hate is not a good way to feel about anyone and I'm sure you don't really hate so-and-so. And what is cats? And what do you mean about real people?
J: Mom, I don't really hate her. I just don't like so-and-so during cat time. All other times are ok. Anyway, me and what's-her-name usually like to be crazy animals but sometimes we want to just be people. I'm really good at being the crazy cat and what's-her-name is a good crazy deer, but when the boys are chasing us sometimes we just want to be people and so-and-so won't let us.
H: I have no idea what you're talking about.
J: Mom! Pay attention! The boys chase us so we get tired being the crazy animals. What's-her-name and I run and run the whole time and sometimes we just want to be the people in charge. And its ok that they chase us because it means they like us. And today that-other-girl wanted to be a crazy panda but so-and-so said no and what's-her-name and I said yes. Then we ran. And the line is always long for the swings. You should raise money for more swings.
We went to a "celebrity" basketball game last night that was a fundraiser for a new playground at another school so that comment wasn't totally off base.
H: I'm helping with Book Fair and Bingo this week and don't have time to deal with the playground.
J: We really need more swings. The crazy cat doesn't like to wait for swings and I always have to wait for swings. Can you play with us on the playground tomorrow? You can be the adult. Then you can see how bossy so-and-so is. The boys might not chase you though.
At this point I just gave up and told her it was time for bed. Then I made sure to remind myself to be thankful that she didn't assign me to be the "crazy adult".
No comments:
Post a Comment