Thursday, February 23, 2012

Crabby pants

Josie has gotten to be pretty good excuses. Sometimes innocent and cute, sometimes not so much. Naptime, in particular, seems to be met with every excuse under the sun.

I'm a big kid and won't nap at school
I only sleep in the hallway (like at Kari's house)- long story, don't ask
Its too bright out
I only sleep at night
I'll let you nap while I play (tempting Josie, tempting)
Figgy keeps me awake so I shouldn't try to sleep
I'll just rest my eyes but not close them


Weekend after weekend we fight this fight. And you know what? Sometimes we lose. This past weekend we gave in and let her skip nap in favor of an afternoon walk and some playtime at the park. Sounds harmless, right? Our walk to the park was filled with crying over being the leader, demands of letting her splash in the puddles, and complaints of tired feet and needing to be carried. And that was all before we even got there. Our time at the park was spent arguing over who could and couldn't push her on the swing, how many trips down the slide are considered reasonable, and why she needs to stop crying so the neighbors by the park don't call the cops on us. The return trip, shockingly, was much of the same. Carry me, hold my hand, don't step on cracks in the sidewalk, questions about why we didn't bring any hot chocolate, don't hold my hand, and more crying.

I started referring to her as crabby pants shortly after our adventure began. By the time we made it back home her crabbiness was overflowing and we were ready to kick her out of the house. Since the cops may have already been called due to noise complaints at the park, we decided it was best to let her in the house. As I was reaching my breaking point I mentioned to Josie that some animal mommas eat their babies. She was a little caught off guard and asked if I would ever do that. I quickly replied that I'd heat her up and have some crab stew since she was such a crabby pants. Almost on cue she fired back yet another excuse-"Mom, you can't eat me. You're allergic to crab."

Like I said, we lost this one from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment